Leache-Wood Seminary, Norfolk
Date ca. 1904
Artist:Harry Cowles Mann, American, 1866 - 1926
Dimensions Overall, Image: 6 3/4 × 9 3/8 in. (17.1 × 23.8 cm) Overall, Support: 7 7/16 × 9 3/8 in. (18.9 × 23.8 cm)
Medium Gelatin silver print
Credit Line Gift of Mr. Glasgow Clark
Description Photograph of the Leache-Wood Seminary in Norfok, VA.
Exhibition History"Harry C. Mann: Norfolk Photographer," Willoughby-Baylor House, Norfolk, VA, April 2, 2016 - April 2, 2017.
Inscriptions Inscription on back in ink: "S.E. Corner Granby St. & Freemason St. C1904". Lower, inversed, in pencil: "3A-OK" and "1904".
Object Label The Leache-Wood Seminary, Norfolk, ca. 1904 American Possibly published by Harry Cowles Mann, ca. 1909–24 Gelatin silver print (photograph) The Leache-Wood Seminary was a private school for young girls, founded in 1871 by Anna Cogswell Wood (1850–1940) and Irene Kirke Leache (1839–1900). Between the mid 1870s and 1900, it occupied this federal-style home on the southwest corner of Granby and Freemason Streets. It then moved to a larger building in the Mowbray Arch section of Ghent, where it remained in operation until 1917. This photograph might have been taken just before the historic structure was torn down to make way for construction of the eight-story Lynnhaven Hotel. Gift of Mr. Glasgow Clark 47.18.5
Object Number 47.18.5