Window from Darwin D. Martin House
Date ca. 1903-1909
Manufacturer:Linden Glass Co.
Dimensions Overall: 39 1/2 x 26 7/8 in. (100.3 x 68.3 cm)
Medium Glass | Brass
Credit Line Museum purchase and gift of Walter P. Chrysler, Jr., by exchange
Description This is a stained glass window made of iridescent, opalescent and clear glass in brass cames.
Exhibition HistoryRichard Feigen Gallery, New York, November 16 - December 16, 1968.
Published References_Frank Lloyd Wright: Art in Design_, exh cat., Hirschl & Adler Modern, New York, N.Y., 1983, cover.
Julie L. Sloan, _Light Screens: The Complete Leaded-glass Windows of Frank Lloyd Wright_ (New York: Rizzoli International Pubs., 2001), 83-84.
Sotheby's, _Important 20th Century Design_, auction catalog, December 12, 2003, New York, NY, 20-21, lot 515.
Jeff Harrison, _Collecting with Vision: Treasures From the Chrysler Museum of Art_ (London: D. Giles Ltd., 2007), 145, fig. 183. ISBN: 978-0-940744-72-1
Provenance Darwin D. Martin House, Buffalo, NY; Mr. John Crosby Freeman, Watkins Glen, NY; Richard Feigen Gallery, 1968, NY; Modern Art Museum of Fort Worth, January 1969-2003; Sotheby's Auction House, 2003; Chrysler Museum of Art Purchase, December 2003.
Current Location Chrysler Museum of Art, Gallery 119, Case 60
Object Label Frank Lloyd Wright, Designer American (1867-1959) Linden Glass Company, Manufacturer Chicago, Illinois Modified Second-Floor Pattern Window from the Darwin D. Martin House, ca. 1903-09 Flat glass and brass Museum purchase and gift of Walter P. Chrysler, Jr., by exchange 2003.21 Frank Lloyd Wright, one of America's most famous architects, made extensive use of leaded glass windows in many of the buildings that he designed between 1885 and 1923. This second-floor pattern window, designed in 1903, comes from the ground-floor reception room of the Darwin D. Martin House in Buffalo, New York. Originally, the lower portion of the window had a border of large opaque white squares, but Wright modified this and the other windows in that room in 1909 at Martin's request. The architect's drawing for this modification survives-documenting the only instance in which Wright is known to have altered windows after their installation. Wright employed narrow brass cames with a triangular profile instead of traditional grooved lead rods to hold the pieces of glass in place. The strength and rigidity of the brass allowed the geometric pattern to be executed crisply, with a sense of delicacy that could not have been achieved in lead.
Object Number 2003.21